Cate Blanchett Oscars How-to
The 88th Academy Awards 2016
WHO: Cate Blanchett, Best Actress Nominee for Carol
HAIR BY: Celebrity Hairstylist, Robert Vetica for Olivia Garden
INSPIRATION: “The look is fresh and carefree, but also has an element of elegance that pays homage to the modern women of the Diana Vreeland era in the 1940s and 1950s, where femininity and elegance lived in full splendor!” – Robert Vetica for Olivia Garden
1. To give Cate her fresh, new cut, I used Olivia Garden Cara Shears to create her jaw-length layered bob. We took her hair up from the collar bone and then added soft layers throughout.
2. I applied a setting hairspray to her wet hair to add strength and hold to my blow dry. Before blowdrying, I brushed from root to tip with Olivia Garden Divine Wet Detangler to distribute the product and brush out any tangles.
3. I then used Olivia Garden EcoCeramic Thermal Firm Round Brush to create a sleek blow dry with an emphasis on a low side part.
4. Once the hair was dry, I took 2” section starting at the top of the head and used a 1” curling to give the hair bend. I then quickly wrapped the hair to set with the same size Olivia Garden Jet Set Curlers. When using rollers, I always keep hair consistent with my part and wrap away from the face.
5. When her makeup was finished, I removed the rollers, sprayed the whole head with hairspray, and gave it a good brushing with Olivia Garden FingerBrush Vented Hair Brush using some quick heat from my blow dryer to loosen the set. This set insured that the finished result would last the whole night.